Thursday, April 24, 2008

Goldfrapp - "Seventh Tree"

Mute, 2008

That's a strange matter. At first, I liked this album, what I was surprised at. But the more I was listening to it, the more it was boring and tiring and, the more all the tracks began to be similar to each other.

It seems that the Goldfrapp's newest record blends together various elements of the previous albums. Therefore, we've got here a few brisker themes from "Supernature" and "Black Cherry", but as a whole, "Seventh Tree" is based on subdued tones similar to those, which we can find on the first album - "Felt Mountain". But I must differentiate something – if the trip hop debut was successful and thus interesting, "Seventh Tree" doesn't bring anything new and is just tiring, as I said at the beginning. Anyway, it's listenable and I've managed to listen to it for a few times. Moreover, sometimes I liked to come back to such pieces like: "Clown" (that's in Katie Melua's style, I think), "Happiness" (essentially, a very good song in terms of its "songness") and "A&E" (that's a similar case to the previous one, but it's gentler). To those three I could add "Caravan Girl" as well, but it's too imitative and resembles any song from the two previous records.

Despite my tiredness of Goldfrapp's "Seventh Tree" and despite their not special "Supernature" and "Black Cherry", I have quite good attitude to their gig at Open'er Festival in Gdynia, Poland this year. Well, they've made some interesting and likable songs even on theirs average albums and, what's the most important, they have really excellent first record, which, unfortunately, will probably be passed over during the promotion of "Seventh Tree". Anyway, I feel that this gig will be worth seeing. And I hope that my feeling won't be a mistake.
3/5

No comments: