Monday, March 10, 2008

Cato Salsa Experience and The Thing with Joe McPhee - "Sounds Like a Sandwich"

Smalltown Superjazzz, 2005

I've read about this album in the cultural supplement of a Polish newspaper "Dziennik". It was an enhusiastic review with a note near to the maximum one so I decided to download it. When I started listening to it, it was quite strange because I've fallen in love with this album just at the beginning. Well, perhaps I didn't fall in love because for me it's impossible to love such a raw music, but I really came to like it. This record sounds very energetically, freshly and amazingly. As this album doesn't last even twenty minutes, it is not boring at all and makes me want to move or dance for all the time of its duration. One of the tracks on this CD is a cover of "Whole Lotta Love" (originally performed by Led Zeppelin, obviously), which also sounds fantastically and therefore is one of the best performances of this song that I've ever heard. This album is an interesting combination of several genres, instruments and views of music. I'm waiting for another thing recorded by the same team. I'm sure it will be amazing too.
4/5

No comments: